[vtkusers] Genarating Multiple Streamlines on 2-D Plane.

Tommie Carr tommie.carr at ucd.ie
Mon Feb 9 05:17:02 EST 2004

Dear All,

I am trying to generate streamlines on a 2-D plane using vtkStreamLines.
The Input to the streamline filter is an unstructured grid.

I have sucessfully genearted single streamlines using the SetStartPosition()
method. However, to generate many streamlines simultaneously, I am
attempting to implement the vtkStreamLine->SetSource(vtkDataSet *) method.
However I have being unsucessful.

The vtk manual uses vtkPointSource to generate a user specified number of
points within a sphere of specified radius about a specified centre. These
points are then used to "seed" streamlines. However, I need my start points
all to lie on the one plane.

I have tryed using other implementations of vtkDataSet to create a set of
seeds but have so far, being unsucessfull. I am furthur confused by the fact
that vtkPointSource is a polydata source and not an implementation of
vtkDataSet.

I would be greatful if anyone could provide suggestions on how to solve this
problem.

Regards,

Tommie Carr.

Dept. of Mechanical Engineering,