[vtkusers] clipping a grid inside a complex structure

Stefan Klemm Biele at quantentunnel.de
Fri Feb 6 12:25:23 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm working on a java application with a ship swimming in a water surface
(both are of vtkPolyData).
My problem is that (when the deck of the ship is removed) you can see the
water instead of the floor of the ship.

Is there a way of clipping exactly that part of the water surface that lies
in the ship body?

The problem is that the ship consists of some thousand quadrilaterals and
both water and ship are animated over time. Therefore I need some kind of
implicit function to describe the ship volume which can be transformed later.
I have tried to build an according implicit function using boolean
operations but did not succeed.

I have managed the problem well using JOGL and the OpenGL stencil buffer.
Could it be a reasonalbe solution to edit the C++ files in order to access
the stencil buffer?

Any ideas are appreciated

Stefan