[vtkusers] Outer surface

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Sun Feb 1 14:55:26 EST 2004

Salut Perrine,
  This had me thinking too... not easy... is it actually one surface
(topologically) with holes? or given segmentation, probably one or more
chunks like that?

If so, my 2c thought was:
   get Center for the dataset (somewhere inside the skull)
  for each cell, calculate dot product of cell normal with vector from
dataset Centre to cell Centre
  if <= 0 discard the cell

This would remove 'inward' facing cells. May want to try values 'around' 0
(if so normalise the vector) to control behaviour at the 'edges'. Could
manually specify dataset 'Centre'...

   Dave P

                      "John Biddiscombe"
                      <jbiddiscombe at skippingm        To:       "Perrine PAUL" <perrine.paul at chu-rennes.fr>,
                      ouse.co.uk>                     <vtkusers at vtk.org>
                      Sent by:                       cc:
                      vtkusers-admin at vtk.org         Subject:  Re: [vtkusers] Outer surface

                      31/01/2004 02:47

NB. This assumes closed surfaces. If the surfaces aren't closed, it's not
obvious what's in and wha'ts out.