[vtkusers] Is it surface/volume rendering for VE?

Andres Barrera andresba at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 12:01:32 EST 2004

Hi Mohamed,

      I haven't tried to get exactly what you want, but you can enhance your
visualization (if you want to use surface rendering) with setting some actor
properties such as:
smoothActor->SetMapper( parisonMapper);

       Actor->GetProperty()->SetDiffuse (...);
       Actor->GetProperty()->SetSpecularColor(...);
       Actor->GetProperty()->SetSpecular(...);
       Actor->GetProperty()->SetSpecularPower(...);
       Actor->GetProperty()->SetAmbient(...);

Also, by using 'vtkPolyDataNormals', your surfaces will look smoother.

       Andres

PS: here's some code you can use to start playing with (at your own risk! :D
)....

void openSmoothSTLActor(char * fileName, vtkActor* smoothActor)
{
    vtkSTLReader  * sr = vtkSTLReader::New();
      sr->SetFileName( fileName );

    vtkGeometryFilter  *geom         = vtkGeometryFilter::New();
       geom->SetInput( sr->GetOutput() );

    vtkPolyDataNormals *Normals = vtkPolyDataNormals::New();
       Normals->SetInput       ( geom->GetOutput() );
       Normals->SetFeatureAngle( 100 );

    vtkLookupTable     *lut          = vtkLookupTable::New();
       lut->SetHueRange( 0.0, 0.66667);

    vtkPolyDataMapper *mapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
       parisonMapper->SetInput      ( Normals->GetOutput() );
       parisonMapper->SetLookupTable( lut );
       parisonMapper->SetScalarRange( 0.12, 1.0 );

    if (smoothActor == NULL)
        smoothActor  = vtkActor::New();

       smoothActor->SetMapper( mapper );

       smoothActor->GetProperty()->SetSpecularColor(
smoothActor->GetProperty()->GetColor() );
       smoothActor->GetProperty()->SetSpecular(0.3);
       smoothActor->GetProperty()->SetSpecularPower(20);
       smoothActor->GetProperty()->SetAmbient(0.2);
       smoothActor->GetProperty()->SetDiffuse(0.8);

    // clean up ...
    sr              ->Delete();
    geom            ->Delete();
    Normals         ->Delete();