[vtkusers] vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D

Julien BARNEOUD j_barneoud at trophy.fr
Thu Dec 16 08:53:03 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am comparing quality and performance of the the different volume mapper
(ray casting and texture ones) and I have slower result with the texture
mapper.

My configuration is a PIV 2.66 Mhz, with 1 GO RAM and an NVIDIA Geforce 6800
GT graphic board.

The dataset I am trying to render is made of 289 * 289 * 399 grayscale
voxels with 12 bits depht.

I am surprized because the texture render is very slow (i.e. it is difficult
to interact with the volume), and the graphic board has 256 Mo of Vdieo RAM,
so my entire dataset should be loaded and handled by the GeForce...

I have tried to reduce the volume size using vtkExtractROI, I get something
faster, but not really usable.

Is there any attention to pay to the volume size: a 256*256*512 volume would
be easier to fit  texture memory as it is aligned on a power of 2? Should I
shift the data to be on 8 bits ? Anything else ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Julien BARNEOUD