[vtkusers] VTK stops rendering during animation after interaction

Eduardo Kortright eduardo at cs.uno.edu
Mon Dec 6 12:47:38 EST 2004

Hello,

I am having a problem when doing a simple animation using Tcl by
manipulating the camera to change the view of a scene.  I have a simple
for loop doing things like changing the azimuth by one degree, or pitch
or roll, etc.  This should give a smooth motion of the camera, and it
always begins to show a smoothly changing scene.

However, under certain circumstances, after a few dozen frames the
render window simply stops rendering.  It is as though it thinks the
render requests are coming in too fast and it simply gives up.  After
that, it only renders at the end when the loop finishes, showing the
final position of the camera.

I have narrowed the problem down to this: if one manually changes the
position of the camera using a render window interactor by clicking with
the mouse, then calling the animation sequence immediately afterward
produces the interrupted effect.  Calling the animation sequence
*without* having used the interactor does not result in the
interruption.  So, if I want to position the camera with the interactor,
I have to use the mouse, then call the animation sequence (with the
animation being interrupted until the loop finishes), and then I have to
call the animation sequence again immediately and it will render every
frame for the entire duration of the loop.

By the way, changing the position of the camera by calling one of the
camera methods from the command line does not produce the interruption
in the animation. loop.  It is as though the interactor sets some flag
that limits the number of frames to render before quitting; when the
flag is cleared, the rendering does not get interrupted.

Finally, I have tested this in Windows XP with various graphics cards
supporting OpenGL, all with the same result.  I have tried VTK 4.2
straight from the User's Guide CD ROM, and also a version of VTK 4.4
compiled with MS VC++ 7.0 with the same result.

I will be grateful for any information about how to prevent this from
happening.

--
Eduardo Kortright                         Department of Computer Science
eduardo at cs.uno.edu                        University of New Orleans