[vtkusers] what is vtkstd

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 17 09:13:40 EDT 2004

Emmanuel,

   You cannot expect to be able to mix and match VTK classes across
versions. If you *really* need to stick with the 4.2 release while
attempting to evaluate fixes to the EnSightReader made later, you could
*attempt* simply removing the 'vtkstd/' prefix and adding '# define
vtkstd std' in the implementation (.cxx) file (if your system's STL is
good) ... but this is ugly hackery and I suggest moving to VTK 4.4.

Mathieu,

   I may be incorrect since I cannot remember the source of this idea,
but I thought having a path component in preprocessor inclusions was a
portability no-no. The various ways of expressing path names among
systems would seem to warrant some concern ... no? Does it test properly
with all configurations supported by CMake / VTK? If so, rock on!

-Sean

P.S. What's the story with the related thread regarding a huge
performance decline on OSX when moving from 4.2 to 4.4?