[vtkusers] Re: Wiki Contribution

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Thu Aug 12 09:12:21 EDT 2004

Hi Goodwin,

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 11:36, Goodwin Lawlor wrote:
> Should people just use their "user" pages to contribute, find a place in a
> current page, or create their own pages?

I suspect if people want to describe something that does not really fit
anywhere, they could use their User page. That said, adding information
to other places is probably the way to go. Also, make sure not to post
things that should really go to the list.

> If I remember correctly, the idea of the wiki was to document how people
> were using vtk classes to accomplish specific tasks... like visualizing
> unstructured grids of hex's.

> It looks like the convention is that all VTK wiki pages begin with "VTK_" .
> Is that so? Are there any other conventions that contributors should know
> about?

Well, for now, all VTK pages should start with VTK_, avoid adding new
pages if there is already page with related content, put summary next to
the comments, etc. I guess I do not have to mention to first check faq,
web pages, or the rest of the Wiki. Also, please no spam or any kind of
offensive posts.

> To create a new page, just add the article title onto the base url (with
> underscores for spaces). So to create a new article called "VTK Getting
> Started", type " http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Getting_Started " into a
> browser and you'll be brought to a new, empty page that can be edited.
> There's never a dead link in a wiki... only pages that haven't been written
> yet (that sounds like an Irish proverb!?).

You are right.

> These pages are helpful to start off:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Starting_a_new_page
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing

When editing a page, there is a link at the bottom called "Editing
help". It actually points to:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/KitwarePublic:How_does_one_edit_a_page

I will add more info and convention things when they solidify. Please
follow those guidelines.

> Anyway, thanks to kitware for setting the wiki up and Prabhu for the inital
> idea

For any question about Wiki, please do not hesitate to ask.

			Andy Cedilnik
			Kitware Inc.