[vtkusers] c# port of VTK

Andy Somogyi endre-somogyi at comcast.net
Wed Aug 4 11:41:20 EDT 2004

John Biddiscombe wrote:

 > 3) Andy's actually rewritten the entire vtkCommon in C# - ie no back end vtk
 > DLL's. In this case, I think that he's quite mad and clearly deserves a
 > medal of some kind.

Quite mad indeed :)

I have not re-written the 'entire' vtkCommon, just enough to compile the
cone.cxx examle as a c# app.

 > I predict some trouble when he gets to vtkRendering etc.

I just started to look at rendering, I ported a small amount here. I'm using
Colin Fehey's c# open gl binding:

http://www.colinfahey.com/opengl/csharp.htm

Basically, he wrote a program to parse the open gl headers, and generate c#
function defintions. So they are really called just like an external c function.

Actually, the biggest problem (far and away the biggest problem )I ran into was
how to deal with the macros. vtkRendering does make fairly extensive use of
macros, but really, its only just adds time, as I have to manually expand the macro
wherever it is used.