[vtkusers] vtkAssembly Set/Get Position

Christopher M. Navarro cnavarro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 27 15:03:59 EDT 2004

If I add 2 actors to a vtkAssembly object, set the position of the
vtkAssembly object via its SetPosition method, then request the 2 actors
positions via GetPosition() on each actor, they return 0.0, 0.0, 0.0.
Only the assembly object returns the position set.  Is this expected
behavior?  If I then set the actors to the position of the assembly, they
move slightly when the next Render is called.  If this is expected
behavior, is there a way to get what each actors equivalent position would
be?  I want to be able to send vtkPolyData over a socket and recreate the
scene as it appears on the client machine by sending position, scale, etc
over the socket.  If I only send data for one of the two actors, I would
like it to appear on the server machine as it was on the client.  If I send the
assembly's position, it will not match the position it had on the client
side.  Any ideas how to get the equivalent position in space?

regards,

chris