[vtkusers] no window interaction on Mac OSX

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 23 09:04:41 EDT 2004

On 23 avr. 2004, at 13:06, Peter Stevenson wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
> The fink package won't install because of conflicts with
> system-xfree86.

Could you give some more details of what you did and what happens?

There are no conflicts that I know of, only incomplete installations.

If you want to install vtk-py23 from the binary distribution, you need
an X11 installation that consists of
-either Apple's X11User.pkg
-or a complete installation of xfree86 from xfree86.org
-or a Fink xfree86 package

If you want to install from source, you need additional header and
library files, in the first case in addition to the X11User.pkg from
Apple, also the X11SDK.pkg from the developer tools.

The only cases I know of that look like conflicts are where people try
to install from source but don't have the X11SDK.pkg installed. In this
case, fink proposes to compile also a complete xfree86 package which
when accepted, will compile OK, but not install, because it doesn't
want to overwrite the existing incomplete X11 installation. You then
have to decide whether you want to complete your Apple X11 installation
or to remove it and replace it by a complete xfree86 package from Fink.

Fink has a FAQ entry about this: #9.11
http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-packages.php?phpLang=en#apple-
x11-wants-xfree86

--