[vtkusers] Versions - which one?

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed Apr 14 18:43:02 EDT 2004

James,

 > 3. Vtk v4.2 - Quadratic hexahedra, - Quads don't work: vtkCutter
 > doesn't seem to work with Quads,

Quadratic hexahedron has been onbly very recently fixed. But quad only
should work with vtkCutter.

 > 4. Vtk v4.4 - Linear hexahedra, - Crashes on entry (I haven't traced
 > why  yet),

Nobody has touched vtkHexahedron in a while, so it is likely the bug is
still here in CVS.

 > 5. Vtk v4.4 - Quadratic hexahedra, - Crashes on entry (I haven't
 > traced why yet).

idem vtk 4.2, bug was fixed only recently.

 > Could you
 > tell me where to go to download ALL the latest files for both these
 > versions? (One last one - any advantage in going to v4.5?).

Go to:
http://vtk.org/files/release/
and download:

VTK-4.2-LatestRelease.tar.gz
VTK-4.4-LatestRelease.tar.gz

4.5 means the current CVS, so go first to:

http://public.kitware.com/dashboard.php

If it's mainly green then you can download it.
Pay attention that there was a API change from 4.2 to 4.4

 > I reiterate that the two main features that I want are (a) better
 > streamlines (ergo vtkStreamTracer) and (b) quadratic elements (since I
 > use the quad hexes in my FE analysis).

a) I hope then one in vtk 4.2 and up will be working for you nicely.
b) again the bugs were only found recently but the CVS should be working

My only concern is that you are using:

 >>  vtkCallbackCommand *pCBCommand ;

Whereas now we use the Command/Observer mechanism.

HTH
Mathieu
Ps: If possible we really appreciate if you could send us a bug report
as a simple C++ code that reproduce the crash (the one with linear
hexahedron for instance).