[vtkusers] Suggestions for a newbie? (what versions?)

James Carroll jim at microbrightfield.com
Wed Apr 14 12:44:25 EDT 2004

Building on Windows...  VTK 4.4 / Python 2.3.3 / MS VC++ 6.0 SP 6 / tcl
+ tk 8.4.6

I have some questions on the build I just did...

- Need to install TCL source even if you aren't using it CMake complains
it can't continue without knowing where the libraries are.
tcl846-src.zip does the trick, need to build release and debug and point
cmake to the libs

- I installed tk, but couldn't build it (no cmake, no dsw, and when I
tried using the buildall.bat, it tells me to run vcvars32.bat (even
though I do have my environment set up, and ran vcvars32.bat again just
to be sure.)

QUESTION: Is there any way to remove all dependencies on tcl/tk in
cmake?  If not, should I put more effort into building tk?  (will
anything break?)
I was also hoping for C++ and Python Examples, but my
{build}/lib/Examples directory is empty... could it be because I have no
tk?

- I installed the Python 2.3.3 sources, and built debug and release
static libraries.  I pointed the cmake PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR to
Python-2.3.3\Include, but it couldn't find pyconfig.h, which I found
under Python-2.3.3\PC directory, so I copied all the PC\*.h files to the
Include directory, and it seems to be continuing.

QUESTION: is there a better way to get the build to find pyconfig.h in
the Python-2.3.3/PC directory?

- Once everything is built, I think I would use the
{output_dir}/wrapping/python/setup.py to install (from a command line
run 'setup.py install'  This seems to do stuff, but when I try to run
any examlples, I get 'vtkCommon.dll not found' reinstalling may fix this
problem.   hmmm...   I see that in
C:\apps\Python233\Lib\site-packages\vtk_python  there is a
vtkCommonPython.dll

QUESTION: Should I rename vtkCommonPython.dll to vtkCommon.dll or should
I copy my vtkCommon.dll from the bin/release directory of my vtk build
to the C:\apps\Python233\Lib\site-packages\vtk_python directory?

- If I create a shortcut to \bin\Release\vtkpython.exe on my desktop and
drag Wrapping\Python\build\lib\vtk_python\vtk\wx\wxVTKRenderWindow.py  I
do get a cone in OpenGL w/ wxWidgets, so I've gotta be close to having
things work great.

Sorry for being high maintenance, I just want to make sure I'm not
wasting too much time doing the wrong things...

Thanks in advance,
-Jim