[vtkusers] VTK + Windows -> Commerical App - Feasibility ??

Tom Citriniti citrit at rpi.edu
Thu Sep 25 19:59:56 EDT 2003

I guess I should pipe in now. We use Vtk as the underlying 3D visualization
engine for our 3D Windows which do both terrain and thematic visualization.
As with any tool you need to know how it works to maximize your experience.

We deal with very large datasets, database tables and DEM files. You always
have to know your data prior to actually loading it into any visualizaiton
system.

Our product ships in 18 laguages and sells worldwide on many different
configurations and we hav enot run into any issues that were not easily
overcome with slight modifications to Vtk. If your interested check out the
web page for our product:

	http://www.mapinfo.com/products/Features.cfm?ProductID=1044

and look a the 3D Views and Prism Mapping for examples of the 3D
capabilties. Also we use the Voronoi algorithm used within Vtk for
specialized object processing.

I find Vtk to be a great tool that easily extensible, powerful, and capable
to handle a professional shipping products workload.

Tom Citriniti
Principal Software Engineer
MapInfo Corp.
(Also Adjunt Lecturer, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)

PPS. Vtk Rocks ;-)