[vtkusers] VTK + Windows -> Commerical App - Feasibility ??

Tom Parker tparker at atlasbuilders.com
Thu Sep 25 09:25:26 EDT 2003

Hello All,

Having spent the last 8 years developing software with one or the other of
VTK's commerical competitors, I can't keep my mouth shut :)

> I have read various docs and seen codes about VTK. Now I am
> having doubt regarding commercial quality app development with
> VTK. I will put some of my points, if anyone can provide more
> information / clarification then it will be great.

> 1) There seems to be much over head with memory usage.

I've built the same windows GIS visualization app in AVS/Express and MFC/VTK
and the VTK version has a much lighter footprint.

> 2) Speed seems to be slower.. same sort of 3D / 2D app with native
> 	windows will be little faster than vtk based.

Wrong again, not to mention you don't have to wait on FlexLM to let your app
run every time you want to debug or show the app off. I estimate I lost 1
month of my life this year waiting on the darned licensing managers. In
MSDev I hit F5 to debug and then go water the garden or make a latte while
FlexLM decides to let me work.

> 3) MicroCT - App from GE is VTK+Windows and works too slowly!!

When performance has been an issue with deployed VTK apps the problem has
usually been a crap client machine. My clients are now running on HP Viz
Stations or Dell desktops with geforce2 or better cards with no problem.

> 4) Not many people have used vtk directly for complete apps. It
>	has to be modified to great extent..

The other toolkits also require extensive modification for most commercial
projects. Apart from custom I/O routines we're using stock VTK and most of
the app customization work is in the MFC GUI.

> Apart from this if there are any other input, please share it.

The sad truth is that AVS5, AVS/Express, OpenDX, PVWave and TGS only have
one or two developers maintaining them, if that! From the changelogs I've
read there are more people contributing to VTK than all the other Viz
toolkits put together. And the commercial vendors aren't likely to challenge
VTK in the future, how can they make money?

Cheers,
Tom

PS. VTK Rocks.

I have read various docs and seen codes about VTK. Now I am
having doubt regarding commercial quality app development with
VTK. I will put some of my points, if anyone can provide more
information / clarification then it will be great.

1) There seems to be much over head with memory usage.
2) Speed seems to be slower.. same sort of 3D / 2D app with native
	windows will be little faster than vtk based.
3) MicroCT - App from GE is VTK+Windows and works too slowly!!
4) Not many people have used vtk directly for complete apps. It
	has to be modified to great extent..

Apart from this if there are any other input, please share it.

I am planning to compare vtk with others for real world app
feasibility. ( Medical field )

Thanks & Regards
Ketan

whatsoever is strictly prohibited.