[vtkusers] drawing very quickly in an overlay (tracking mouse with a line)

Malcolm Drummond malcolm at geovision.co.za
Thu Sep 25 02:06:25 EDT 2003

Hi John

Thanks very much for the advice. Unfortunately I can't rely on decent texture mapping. Many of the users have machines that can only be described as a form of punishment. I've had to keep the visualization pretty basic, but all that is required anyway is to choose parts of a broken up surface to be fitted to planes so they can run a simplified model.

I tried your idea anyway, even just using an image actor (no textures) comes out all wrong on their machines - though it looks right on mine. I know many of the users have old ATI chips, which I've had problems with before. Ironically on the machines that could handle your trick, the straightforward rendering is pretty quick anyway.

In the worst case I could continue to do all the transformations with VTK and then paint on my own canvas, do a bitblt and draw the latest polygon segment with XOR.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Malcolm