[vtkusers] vtk4.2 + Python2.3 + win = works,but repr(<vtkobject>) crashes

Frank Conradie frank at qfin.net
Mon Sep 22 10:32:27 EDT 2003

Hi Andy

Actually I have no idea where the part of the stack trace into the Borland
stuff comes from, but I can tell you what I did. I re-built vtk with
debugging on (using the free BCC32 compiler), then used gdb through cygwin
to run python.exe. I also have dev-c++ and it's Windows-only gdb also works.

By the way, I've definitely tracked down the problem I'm having - the Print
method of vtkBaseObject is never entered, as if it's pointing to some random
code location. For the time being I've simply copied the code from repr into
str, so I now get the same output for repr and str of vtk objects.

The reason why this is important is because I use PyCrust with my app, and
it crashes when it tries to str() a vtk object.

Regards,
Frank