[vtkusers] vtk web applications

Joey Mukherjee joey at swri.edu
Mon Sep 22 10:10:37 EDT 2003

We use VTK on the web at http://cluster2.space.swri.edu.  Click on the
"Plot" tab, and then click one of the contour plots.  You will see VTK
animations in a little Java movie player.

The only problems we had were the fact that we were depending on X
being present, and over the web, obviously its not.  There is a
vtkOffScreenRenderer which we used for a while, but it had issues.  The
solution we chose was to use the NULL X windows driver, Xvfb, and
everything worked great.

Since you are already writing in Java, maybe your job will be easier.

On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 10:32  AM, Christopher M. Navarro
wrote:

> I'm looking into the potential of deploying visualizations created in
> vtk
> on the web and I was wondering if anyone who has attempted to make a
> web
> enabled vtk application (with java or other tools) could share their
> experiences, good or bad.  What pitfalls should I be careful of?  I
> have
> noticed a few posts on this topic from quite a while back but there
> isn't
> a lot that I can find on this subject.  Right now I'm working on a
> java/vtk tool and would like to explore the possibilities of making a
> web
> enabled version.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Joey