[vtkusers] vtkFLTK project on SourceForge

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 5 12:55:19 EDT 2003

   At the time that I initially undertook vtkFLTK, which was almost 15
months ago, I was unable to get multiple VTK RenderWindows, separate
from a main application interface window, to show() after a hide()
without bringing down the X server. I do not think that
vtkFlRenderWindowInteractor, at that time, had a way of reaquiring the
new XID that it needed ... therfore, KABOOM! Searching through
discussion of your work, however, seems to indicate that this problem is
gone.

   Aside from any disqualifying reasons, I was also just interested in
using VTK ObjectFactory facilities. The goal was the ability to use
vtkFLTK without an application having to deal with anything other than
the standard VTK base classes (Registration of the specialized
ObjectFactory even occurs via static initializers behind the scenes). I
also wanted a single inheritance based solution in order to maintain
consistency with the current designs of VTK and FLTK. I will certainly
say that multiple inheritance lends your solution an elegance not
otherwise achievable.

   Basically, vtkFLTK came into existence at a time when
vtkFlRenderWindowInteractor may have been doing a little teething of its
own. There had been a small number of people who found vtkFLTK useful
and I was encouraged to bring it forward, so voila! My intention was
never to reinvent the wheel or to butt heads with anyone.

-Sean