[vtkusers] Writing compatible python wrappers for own software

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Sep 5 08:17:25 EDT 2003

    MA> Hi list, I'm quite new to the python world and therefore my
    MA> question might be basic, but I couldn't find an easy answer to
    MA> it:

[snip]

    MA>   vtkUnstructuredGrid * GetDataSourcePointer(int i);

    MA> Can I just use SWIG to wrap that call into python and then use
    MA> the return value for
    MA> SomeVtkFilter.SetInput(x.GetDataSourcePointer(0)) or what do I
    MA> need to do instead? Especially, what is necessary to ensure
    MA> correct reference counting for the vtk smart pointers?

This is not a simple topic to reply to and I dont have the time to say
too much but you might want to read this thread:

 http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2002-October/013980.html

Essentially you can use the functions inside vtkPythonUtil.h to
convert from/to Python and C++.  As I said I haven't really thought
about your problem enough to say that the above will be enough but I
hope you should be able to figure it out.

cheers,
prabhu