[vtkusers] constructing surface with vtkPoints

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 07:00:43 EDT 2003

vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter and vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction both
return a surface with different number of points to the original output.

1. if your object is convex, then use vtkDelaunay3D followed by
vtkGeometryFilter
2. if your points have some order in them (eg. they come from a
laser-scanner and are thus organised into stripes, or are from segmented
CT/MRI images) then use that order to create some polys.
3. if you have surface normals in addition to the points then use them to
compute an implicit function (-ve inside, +ve outside) and vtkContourFilter
at zero
4. if your surface is small then add polys manually
5. search for an algorithm that only uses the original points

tim