AW: [vtkusers] triangulation from surface points?

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 12:53:42 EDT 2003

Zein,

Have a look at vtkRuledSurfaceFilter. The points in each plane should join
up to form a closed line, at least if your object is closed and contiguous.
Then these lines can be combined to form a surface using this filter.

Alternatively, consider that your points actually define a binary volume
(-1 inside, 1 outside) since you have points and normals. Thus there are
(at least) two approaches:

1. create a volume, and go through each voxel inserting:
       1 if the nearest surface point's normal is pointing towards the voxel
       -1 if the normal points away
    then use vtkContourFilter (contours at 0 by default) to get a polygonal
surface

OR

2. for each plane, compute a binary image using a polygon painting
algorithm (think this can be done in VTK now) and stack these images up to
form a volume. Then use vtkContourFilter as before.

All of these approaches need familiarity with VTK, which takes a while to
learn but is worth it if you plan to tackle similar problems in the future!

As another alternative, there are lots of packages out there that do this
kind of thing. (NUAGES springs to mind but this may be old and gone now).
And if you can get hold of the volume data from which your points came in
the first place then you will save yourself a lot of work.

Tim.