[vtkusers] triangulation from surface points?

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 12:27:09 EDT 2003

Hi Zein,

There are a few options in VTK. I'm not so familiar with ITK.

1. If your surface is convex then vtkDelaunay3D plus vtkGeometryFilter is
your friend.

2. If your data points are structured in any way (eg. in planes, or in
stripes) then you need to take full advantage of this to get the best
results. Likewise if your points have normals.

3. If your sample points really are randomly sampled on the surface then
you can try: vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter (caveat: only works on nice
clean closed data, and only sometimes) or
vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction
(http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~thutton/powercrust/) which works much better
but isn't part of VTK.

4. Use an external program to reconstruct the surface and import the
results into VTK.

In general this is quite a hard problem, so good luck!

Tim

Also this is quite a common question, so a search of the mailing list
archives may have helped.

Tim Hutton,                           http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~thutton
Research Fellow & PhD student,                   T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
MINORI Project, Biomedical Informatics Unit,
Eastman Dental Institute, UCL,                   Tel: [+44] (0)20 7915 2344
256 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK         Fax: on request
This email represents the views of the sender alone and must not be
construed as representing the views of the Eastman Dental Institute. It may
contain confidential information and may be protected by law as a legally
privileged document and copyright work. Its content should not be disclosed
and it should not be given or copied to anyone other than the person(s)
named or referenced above. If you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender.