[vtkusers] want to use vtk for high-performance?

N Smethurst nick.smethurst at free.fr
Wed Nov 26 17:09:52 EST 2003

Le Mercredi 26 Novembre 2003 19:50, Jean-Guy LaRoche a écrit :
> but doesn't using threads take up alot of the cpu resources?

Not at all. The only program level overhead is if you need to access mutex
locks regularly. My only experience is with Linux, but I doubt it would be
different with other systems.

> also, i was thinking of your second suggestion - so would i then derive my
> own class from vtkLocator for example?  and so are you saying that even
> though my class containing the search routine will be derived from a vtk
> class, it will execute almost as fast as its supposed to?

My thought was that deriving a class would give you the opportunity to access
protected attributes of the superclasses, and hence you could write your own
non-virtual inline methods that would execute very quickly. You may find
though that the VTK methods you would wish to reimplement in this way are
already optimised.