[vtkusers] AMR, ChomboVis, and VTK...

Terry J. Ligocki tjligocki at lbl.gov
Fri Nov 7 17:59:40 EST 2003

We have talked about and looked at porting ChomboVis to VTK 4.x.  One of
the main difficulties with doing this is that ChomboVis interrupts the
VTK 3.2 pipeline in a deliberate fashion and this doesn't port directly
to VTK 4.x (as far as we can understand things).  In addition, we are
currently being funded to extend functionality (data analysis, embedded
boundaries, etc.) and not to port to VTK 4.x (unless we can do it
quickly and reliably!).

We would like to be using VTK 4.x for a number of reasons (some of which
you mention below) but this probably won't be the case for awhile.  We
may end up porting to directly to the next major revision of VTK (5.x?).

We do provide an "ChomboVis and everything" tarball which, at least,
encapsulates all our dependencies under one directory and only uses the
things built there for ChomboVis - i.e., the initial script sets all the
path, library directories, etc. when it runs.

Also, I hope this thread isn't getting too rarefied/tangential for the
general VTK users e-mail list.  If so, please let me know and I'll take
further commentaries off-line.

        Terry J. (Ligocki, tjligocki at lbl.gov)
        Applied Numerical Algorithms Group
        Computer Research Division