[vtkusers] Python Wrapping and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Nov 4 14:02:47 EST 2003

    CD> The CVS compiles fine, unfortunately, unlike in 4.2.3 after
    CD> running python setup.py install, I still need to set my
    CD> LD_LIBRARY_PATH or I get the following message (*). It is ok
    CD> for now, but we plan on redistributing our stuff and it'd be
    CD> nicer if we could do without asking the user to set his/her
    CD> LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.

    CD> Any help/comment welcome,

Yes, this can be a pain.  If you are using RH 9.0 you could use the
nightly RPMs available here:

  http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/vtk/

I have heard that they work just fine.

If you don't want to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH you can install
libvtk*Python.so in a directory that is in the linkers path (i.e. with
the other libvtk*.so files) and then make symbolic links in
site-packages/vtk_python/ to the libvtk*Python.so modules.  I thought
that the setup.py script does this correctly?  Doesn't it?

You might also find this useful.

  http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2003-April/017122.html

cheers,
prabhu