[vtkusers] VTK and Garbage Collection

Jeff Lee jeff at cdnorthamerica.com
Thu May 29 06:27:49 EDT 2003

R K Shyamprakash wrote:

>Hi,
>        My VTK  application becomes slower after few operations and
>sometimes it locks the processor. How can I garbage collect VTK objects so
>that serious memory concerns does not arise.

how do you know that the slowdown is related to memory consumption?  vtk
objects, as all java objects are garbage collected when they are no
longer referenced by any other object.  do you notice an increase in
performance after garbage collection runs?

>	I am using VTK 4.2 with Java. Also the Java component have repaint problem
>when an intensive vtk operation is going on. Is there any work around for
>this.

common problem due to the fact that you are likely tying up the event
thread with your calculation.  there are a variety of solutions to this,
one being to thread the calculation.  look for the SwingWorker class on
java website for more details.
Jeff