[vtkusers] Success rate of VTK on Mac OS X

Drew McCormack cormack at chem.vu.nl
Tue May 20 02:46:39 EDT 2003

Hi Amit,

> I am developing an application for Mac OS. Does anybody know the
> compatibility & success rate of VTK on Mac OS ? Is there any feature
> that I
> loose out while developing an application for MAC ?
>
> Awaiting your reply since they can give me a proper direction.

I think VTK is pretty complete on Mac OS X. You will have to select an
API, eg, Carbon, Cocoa, X11, Tcl/Tk with Carbon, Python with Carbon.
Other than that, I don't think there is much missing from the Mac OS X
port, though others should correct me if I am wrong.

If you are interested in developing a new App for Mac OS X, and don't
ever intend porting it, you are probably best off with Cocoa as a
development environment. I wrote a 2 part article for MacDevCenter a
while back that could help you get started:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1122

Drew

  Dr. Drew McCormack (Kmr. R153)
  Afd. Theoretische Chemie