[vtkusers] Installed dylibs on OS X

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Wed Mar 19 14:47:26 EST 2003

Hello,

I noticed something strange once I installed dynamic VTK libraries into /usr/local on OS X. They keep referencing the original build locations, effectively breaking executables once the VTK build directories are removed.

$ otool -L /usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkCommon.dylib
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkCommon.dylib:
        /usr/tmp/code/vtk-build/bin/libvtkCommon.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
        /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit (compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 663.6.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 63.0.0)

Maybe it's something with the way that the dynamic libraries are generated. I haven't dealt with the guts of OS X linking in detail, so I'm not sure what the best workaround may be. It seems like a dynamic library should reference its install path rather than its build path. Has anyone else seen this?

Chris
--
Chris Scharver
Electronic Visualization Laboratory