[vtkusers] Building VTK on MacOSX10.2.4 fails

Rich Gronostajski gronos at mac.com
Wed Mar 19 13:52:25 EST 2003

It appears that some folks have managed to get VTK to build with
MacOSX10.2.4 but I sure haven't.  I downloaded the latest CVS and am
using cmake 1.6 build 5.  I'm building with Java, Python and TclTK
wrapping.  I have the latest SDKs from Apple.  I continue to get the
following errors which seem to say that certain openGL symbols aren't
defined:

/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/freetype: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
/Develop/osxBin/Utilities/ftgl: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
/Develop/osxBin/Common: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
/Develop/osxBin/Filtering: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
/Develop/osxBin/Imaging: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
/Develop/osxBin/Graphics: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
/Develop/osxBin/IO: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
/Develop/osxBin/Rendering: building default_target
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
Building shared library /Develop/osxBin/bin/libvtkRendering.dylib...
ld: Undefined symbols:
_glXChooseVisual
_glXCreateContext
_glXDestroyContext
_glXGetClientString
_glXGetConfig
_glXGetCurrentContext
_glXIsDirect
_glXMakeCurrent
_glXQueryExtension
_glXQueryExtensionsString
_glXQueryServerString
_glXSwapBuffers
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[3]: *** [/Develop/osxBin/bin/libvtkRendering.dylib] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Rendering] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

my CMakeCache.txt file includes openGL calls here:

//What is the path where the file GL/gl.h can be found
OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/X11R6/include/GL

//OpenGL library for OSX
OPENGL_LIBRARY:STRING=-framework AGL -framework OpenGL

//OpenGL lib for OSX
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:STRING=-framework OpenGL

//AGL lib for OSX
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:STRING=-framework AGL

//What is the path where the file GL/xmesa.h can be found
OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND

I've tried changing the
//What is the path where the file GL/gl.h can be found
OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/X11R6/include/GL
to /System/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers
and get the same errors.  If I don't include the directory I get many
more undefined command errors.

I'd really like to get VTK to build on MacOSX but I've almost given up.
Can anyone help me?  Thanks.

--
Richard M. Gronostajski
Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry