[vtkusers] Picking points in a volume

Robb Brown brownr at ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 18 14:16:38 EST 2003

I have a volume rendering of a dataset that I can crop (hardware
cropping).  I would like to determine the scalar value at a point the
user clicks on.

I've tried vtkPointPicker but it always returns a point on the surface
of the bounding box of the uncropped volume.  I can get the pick
position using vtkPropPicker.GetPickPosition() but what space are these
coordinates in?  The documentation says they're global coordinates
(world?) but if I rotate the volume and click on the same point I get
different z values.

Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,

Robb