[vtkusers] VTK File format: Little/big endian problem [or] looking for a VTK guru...

Dave Semeraro semeraro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 18 11:00:26 EST 2003

Hi Mathieu,

I feel your pain. I too battled to make sense of the endian thing. I work
on Intel machines and
so the words are little endian. I believe VTK by default assumes data is
big endian. Therefore,
I found that when I tried to read binary vtk files that I had created the
vtkDataReader merrily
swapped the bytes for me producing interesting results. In my particular
case I was reading
vtkRectilinearGrids. I think any reader that uses the vtkDataReader class
will produce similar
results. I had two choices. I could swap the bytes before I created the vtk
files or I could skip
the vtk file reading and build a vtk data set by reading the data and
packing it into vtkFloatArrays.
I chose the later as being the path of least resistance. Another
possibility is to force the
definition of VTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN in the vtkConfigure.h file and recompile.
That is not a
very good option in my opinion.

I realize none of this solves your problem. I find it helps me to hear
others have had similar
experiences.

Regards,
Dave