[vtkusers] MFC sample app causes an ESP error??

Martin Gardner mglistmail at totalise.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 12:06:58 EST 2003

Hi,

I am trying to use vtk with mfc so I have been looking at the sample
apps that come with vtk.

The mfc sample in VTK-4.2.1\Examples\GUI\Win32\SampleMFC
compiles fine but when I run it I get the following error

Debug Error!
Program: <the sample app>
Module:
File: i386\chkesp.c
Line: 42

The value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call.  This is
usually a result of calling a function declared with one calling
convention with a function pointer declared with a different calling
convention

!! What is this about? Has anyone else seen this happening?

I have seen it happen with the 4.2, nightly and latest builds but it
doesn't occur with the 4.0 wintel binaries

Incidentally when compiled under the Release configuration the sample
app crashes with the error..

The instruction "0x00401697" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "read".

Cheers

Martin
---