[vtkusers] OS X Python Carbon Valid Pixel Format??

garsha garsha at itg.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 10 23:23:37 EST 2003

Greetings,
I'm still hanging on to the hope that I can get VTK (4.2.1) w/ Python
(2.2.2) to work on OS X 10.2.4 with CMake 1.6.  Everything builds fine
and installs smoothly--much easier than it was several months ago.  I
can import vtk in the python interpreter, and I can go through a simple
cone example up until the moment of truth when I attempt to initialize
the RenderWindowInteractor: I get an error stating that the
CarbonRenderWindow couldn't find a valid pixel format.  When I Google
this predicament, I can see that others have experienced this problem,
but I haven't been able to find the solution.
    From what I can tell this may be something related to the OS X
implementation of OpenGL--has anyone else seen this?  Is there perhaps
an environment variable I need to set?  I'm running an older powerbook
without hardware acceleration for OpenGL but I've seen the cone.py run
on it (long ago when I could run the early OS X binaries posted at
http://www.atamai.com/vtkOnOSX.html). So it seems to be a software hangup.
    It is my aspiration to run VTK and MayaVi on OS X...has anyone out
there had success building and running VTK with Python wrappers on an
updated version of OS X?  Carbon or X11?
    Any leads on a way to stomp this valid pixel format issue would be
much appreciated-thanks in advance.
Regards,
Karl G.