[vtkusers] MacOS X - carbon,cocoa,x11, which?

Drew McCormack cormack at chem.vu.nl
Thu Mar 6 02:35:48 EST 2003

Hi John,

I don't know if you saw this in the archives, so here it is again.

A few weeks back, an article of mine was published on MacDevCenter,
about installing VTK for
use with Cocoa. It doesn't answer all your prayers, but it is a start.
Most people
have been able to get a successful VTK build using the guidelines with
a few additions, namely,

(a) That you turn off the testing and examples, and
(b) You download CMake 1.4.7, and not the erroneously mentioned 1.4.5
from the article.

Here is the URL:
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/02/11/dev_osx.html

Part 2 of the article is still coming (sigh), but they have promised it
will be published.

Hope this helps,
Drew McCormack

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 04:51  am, clyne at ncar.ucar.edu wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been scouring the vtk mail archives looking for some guidance on
> building vtk under MacOS X. There seems to be a plethora of choices for
> OSX (Cocoa/Carbon/X11), but it's not at all clear from the many, many
> postings what the trade-offs are for these environments, or more
> importantly, what the path of least pain for a VTK OSX installation is.
>
> A couple of folks in the past posted some very helpful step-by-step
> instructions for installation, but the information seems a bit dated
> now. It would be wonderful if someone, preferably from kitware, could
> summarize the state of VTK wrt OSX (what works, what doesn't) and
> provide a current cook-book for an OSX installation using any of the
> available MacOS X development environments.  This would be a great
> immediate help to me and i'm sure many others. It would be even more
> wonderful if in the future kitware were able to maintain current
> installation guides for all platforms. I'm sure folks from the
> community would be willing to contribute if there were a place to
> keep this information. The mailing archive doesn't seem to be suited
> for
> this as it's not clear what information is dated or current.
>
> Thanks for listening and thanks for any pointers.
>
> cheers - jc
>

> John Clyne 	(clyne at ncar.ucar.edu)
> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, Colorado 80307
> (303) 497-1236	FAX (303) 497-1298