[vtkusers] MacOS X - carbon,cocoa,x11, which?

clyne at ncar.ucar.edu clyne at ncar.ucar.edu
Wed Mar 5 22:51:48 EST 2003

Hi

I've been scouring the vtk mail archives looking for some guidance on
building vtk under MacOS X. There seems to be a plethora of choices for
OSX (Cocoa/Carbon/X11), but it's not at all clear from the many, many
postings what the trade-offs are for these environments, or more
importantly, what the path of least pain for a VTK OSX installation is.

A couple of folks in the past posted some very helpful step-by-step
instructions for installation, but the information seems a bit dated
now. It would be wonderful if someone, preferably from kitware, could
summarize the state of VTK wrt OSX (what works, what doesn't) and
provide a current cook-book for an OSX installation using any of the
available MacOS X development environments.  This would be a great
immediate help to me and i'm sure many others. It would be even more
wonderful if in the future kitware were able to maintain current
installation guides for all platforms. I'm sure folks from the
community would be willing to contribute if there were a place to
keep this information. The mailing archive doesn't seem to be suited for
this as it's not clear what information is dated or current.

Thanks for listening and thanks for any pointers.

cheers - jc

John Clyne 	(clyne at ncar.ucar.edu)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, Colorado 80307
(303) 497-1236	FAX (303) 497-1298