FW: [vtkusers] Embedded geometry with VolumePro500 & VTK

Martin Gardner mglistmail at totalise.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 16:30:33 EST 2003

Hi Ron,

Ron Inbar wrote:
> As far as I know, the VP500 can't do embedded geometry, so it surprises me
> you were able to see anything.  Did you get a three-dimensional,
> geometrically-correct result?  I guess not.

yes, and no. I can get something that resembles embedded geometry but I
doubt it is geometrically correct.

I've looked through the source code for 'Revli' and it does embedded
geometry by rendering N rectangular slices of the volume. OpenGL then
takes the resulting textures and applies them to planar polygons. This
allows other polygons to be placed between/intersecting slices and
OpenGL deals with occlusions and gives the illusion that the polygonal
geometry is embedded in the volume.

However this means that the VolumePro renders the volume N times just to
display the volume once.  This causes a significant drop in the frame
rate which I would like to avoid if possible.

So it looks as though I am going to have to wait for the VP1000 before I
can get reasonable frame rates + correct renderings.

Cheers

Martin
---
mglistmail at totalise.co.uk