[vtkusers] VTK with JDK1.3.1_08

R K Shyamprakash ramakrishna.prakash at quest-global.com
Fri Jun 27 08:58:20 EDT 2003

In the load operation, I read the file, and create an actor out of the read
data, add the actor to renderer and then call Render. I will dig into the
code and see if really another thread is accessing the data.

event thread is starved.  really can't diagnose your problem without
some code.  can try ctrl-\ to get a thread-dump if you use jdk1.4,
otherwise its hard to see where the hang occurs.

I tried the thread dump. It says

"AWT-EventQueue-0" prio=7 tid=0x008B20A0 nid=0x66 in Object.wait()
[277ef000..27
7efd90]
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:426)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.getNextEvent(EventQueue.java:333)
        - locked <114267A0> (a java.awt.EventQueue)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchTh
read.java:161)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThre
ad.java:150)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:144)

        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:136)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:99)

	But here the interesting thing is, if I click on toolbar or menubar
item(they are blank), the event gets fired and I can continue operation in
VTK window as usual. only that these buttons are not repainted properly. I
have a strong feeling that VTK is holding the graphics resources which is
disallowing java to repaint because if I close the VTK window(in case if I
manage to hit the correct menu item) and reopen it all java objects return
to normal state.

Thanks
Shyam