[vtkusers] VTK with JDK1.3.1_08

Jeff Lee jeff at cdnorthamerica.com
Fri Jun 27 08:23:01 EDT 2003

R K Shyamprakash wrote:

>Jeff,
>	Say I am loading a .stl file into SourceViewer(which is a subclass of
>vtkCanvas and it is a child of JTabbedPane). The crash occurs only during
>the first load operation. Once the model is loaded everything works fine.
>what I don't understand is, all operation gets executed in the event thread,
>so there is no chance of another thread accessing the data at the same time.

there is a chance that the c++ interactor is performing a render while
your data is loading.  also could be that there really is a chance of
another thread accessing the data at the same time.  what does your load
operation do?

>	Further, when I move the mouse over the actor, I pick the cell and change
>its scalar value(to paint the cell with a different color) . the whole thing
>gets executed in the mouseDragged event thread. if I do this operation for
>say, 8 to 10 minutes, the JAVA GUI freezes(toolbar and menubar goes blank)
>though the vtk window(vtkCanvas) works fine. at this point if I close the
>existing vtk window and open a new one everything returns to normal. I tried
>forcing repaint and all other things. but nothing seems to be working. Can
>you guess any reason for this?

event thread is starved.  really can't diagnose your problem without
some code.  can try ctrl-\ to get a thread-dump if you use jdk1.4,
otherwise its hard to see where the hang occurs.