[vtkusers] Question about manipulating voxel data

DORSEY_EDMUND_K at LILLY.COM DORSEY_EDMUND_K at LILLY.COM
Tue Jun 24 16:46:10 EDT 2003

Hi,
    I'm new to this mailing list.  I just started working with VTK and
python for a summer project which involves subvoxel processing.  The
problem is this.  I need to read in a vff file (header + 16 bit voxels),
resample the data, then resave the data.  So far I've read in the file and
can write it out again as a new file with no changes.  The question is how
do I split the voxels into new voxels and assign new values.  For example,
in 2d, each voxel needs to be split into 4 subvoxels and assigned new
intensities.  I can't just use the built in interpolation methods because
I need to implement a special algorithm to do the resampling.  I'm also a
little confused as to how VTK is storing the data.  The orginal vff file
just lays out the voxels in a grid so as you read them in you know what
what the location is.  You probably noticed this program doesn't need to
do any rendering but I want to use VTK because eventually the program will
be a plugin and if I can orginally write it using vtk it will be  much
easier later on to merge with the rendering program (already written but
not by me).  I'm still waiting for my copies of the VTK user guide to
arrive so mabye that will help once I go through it but can anyone offer
any advice?  Even some very high level stuff or perhaps point out the
functions I'd need to use.  Anything would be be helpful as I'm quite
lost.  Thank you for your time.  ~Edmund Dorsey (confused summer intern)