[vtkusers] VTK on OSX

Tom Bridgman bridgman at wyeth.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 13 14:07:14 EDT 2003

I've had partial successes building VTK on OS X.  The last time I had a
build that I could actually work with was under OS X 10.1.  Under 10.2
I've only got the Cocoa option to build per the MacDev article.

With all the different build options on OSX (TclTkAqua vs X11, Carbon
vs. Cocoa, Python, Java, etc.) would it be practical for those who've
had successful builds to post their CMake configuration file along with
a summary of what components they are using?  I'm wondering if some
comparisons could be done which would make it easier to choose the
options we want.

For example, I'd like to do C++, Python with Tkinter, and MayaVi using
Aqua.  Do I build with Carbon or Cocoa for this?  Is such a build even
possible?  What about my Python build - what config issues exist to make
it compatible?  I get the impression that some combinations are just not
viable - is this the case?

If those who've obtained successful builds want to post their CMake file
with a description of the options they sought, I'd be interested in
diffing them to hunt down the patterns and post a summary of what I
find.

Tom