[vtkusers] vtk python lib's dependency on libvtkCommonPython not set by cmake

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Jun 7 01:02:16 EDT 2003

    ME> When trying to run a python script (using either vtkpython or
    ME> python) the following error is reported

    ME> "/Users/mike/Development/vtk/VTK-4.2.2/Wrapping/Python/vtk/
    ME> filtering.py", line 7, in ?
    ME>      from libvtkFilteringPython import *
    ME> ImportError: Failure linking new module: : dyld: python
    ME> Undefined symbols: _PyArg_VTKParseTuple _PyVTKClass_Check
    ME> _PyVTKClass_New _PyVTKClass_vtkCollectionNew
[snip]

    ME> For some reason none of the python libs have
    ME> libvtkCommonPython.so (or any other libvtk""Python.so library)
    ME> set as a dependency by cmake (1.6.7). Trying to correct this
    ME> in the CMakeCache file does not work.

Thats wierd.  All of the Python libs need to link to atleast
libvtkCommonPython.so.  I've regularly building and using VTK for a
long while and this has never come up.

    ME> Any suggestions.

    ME> I have built VTK-4.2.2 under OSX 10.2.6 for X11.

    ME> Here is the pertinent section of my CMakeCache file.

Your Cache file looks wrong.  Perhaps you did not
re-configure/re-generate the build using cmake after you turned on
Python wrapping?  Just retry cmake/ccmake and reconfigure everything
and re-generate the files and see if the cache file looks any better.

cheers,
prabhu