[vtkusers] OpenGL question

Praveen Bhaniramka praveenb at mrcoffee.engr.sgi.com
Wed Jun 4 13:08:04 EDT 2003

Hi Jianlong,

Depending on the OpenGL hardware that you are running on, you should be
able to use pbuffers for what you are trying to do. See -
http://www.mesa3d.org/brianp/sig97/offscrn.htm

You can also find other useful links by searching for "OpenGL pbuffers" on
google.

Assuming that you are using double buffering, which is most likely the
case, the rendered data will be displayed only when glXSwapBuffers is
called by the application. So alternatively, you can store the current
contents of the frame buffer, do your writes and reads and then restore
the contents of the frame buffer with the stored image. Depending on what
you are trying to do, this approach might also work.

hth,
Praveen