[vtkusers] Re: Setting an icon on the renderwindow under Win32

jean-michel.rouet at philips.com jean-michel.rouet at philips.com
Tue Jul 29 06:42:44 EDT 2003

For info I finally found how to set the icon:
The trick was to get the Window handler from the vtkRenderWindow object,
and the the instance handle from the window handle

Something like that works:

    // set icon to the vtk window
    HWND hWnd = (HWND) renwin->GetGenericWindowId(); // retrieve vtk
window Id
    HICON hIcon2 = LoadIcon((HINSTANCE) GetWindowLong(hWnd,GWL_HINSTANCE),

 MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_MYICON));

    SetClassLong(hWnd,          // window Handle
                 GCL_HICON,     // index of the Icon field
                 (LONG)hIcon2); // the icon handler

Jean-Michel.