[vtkusers] create a texture map for an arbitrary surface

John Biddiscombe john.biddiscombe at mirada-solutions.com
Tue Jul 22 06:30:10 EDT 2003

Tim,

> If you have a routine
> that allows the
> user to paint the pixels in the texture image by pointing at
> the teapot
> with the mouse then the paint they apply may appear not only
> where they
> want but also somewhere else on the teapot! The same is true
> of the other
> TextureMapTo* filters.

OK. So you want to explicitly give cell number N, texture coords u1,u2,u3...
cell N+1 completely different coords (not necessarily spatially related to the previous cell)

PolydataIn->Map Cells to arbitrary texture space ->Polydataout
where "Map Cells to arbitrary texture space" efeectively does a mapping and point duplication (if necessary) for every cell based upon the specified (or user generated) cell->tex table.

hmmm....

no, there's no easy way I don't think. Or at least no way that doesn't involve you doing all the cell manipulation yourself - the actual implementation wouldn't be too bad (lots of clesses like normal generation with splitting on do point duplication and you could use most of that code). Getting the cell->tex mapping that's needed as input would be a serious pain though!

$0.02

JB