[vtkusers] MPEG Streaming from a running VTK app

Robert Stein rjstein at iu.edu
Wed Jul 9 16:16:38 EDT 2003

Hey VTK'ers,

    So, I've got some code that I'm working on that can stream an MPEG movie from a running VTK application... my current problem is that I trigger the encoding of a frame based on the EndEvent of the render window.  When using this with a vtkRenderWindowInteractor... the EndEvent is only called when something (camera, data, filters, etc...) changes... this makes good sense...  Unfortunately, in my case this means that my MPEG stream stalls... and some players don't like this :)
    So my question is this... is there a way to force the vtkRenderWindowInteractor to render continuously? or is there a way to set a timer inside the interactor's Start() method that can call my MPEG encoding stuff at some predefined time interval not dependant on rendering?  I seem to remember way back in the day that vtkRenderWindowInteractor had an Idle() method... but I see that this has gone away :)  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

Robert Stein
Senior Technical Lead