[vtkusers] downcasting in python wrappers in VTK 4.2.2

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Jul 2 23:14:05 EDT 2003

    >> A quick confirmation.  Is this a good thing to do in general?
    >> Are there issues with other Python modules.  I guess not but
    >> would appreciate clarification.

    BK> Tcl uses the flags by default, and we've never had a problem.
    BK> The alternative is to go find every place in which we load a
    BK> C++ module and add a save/restore of the dlopenflags around
    BK> it.

Thanks.  My search on google revealed this *long* thread:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-May/023923.html

The second post on that seems to indicate that its better to not to
make it the default.  After that I can't see any resolution one way or
another.

I think I'll just do the following.  All of vtk-python is imported
inside the __init__.py so I'll just change the flags inside there and
then reset it to its original state.  I hope that works.  Let me know
if you think there will be a problem with that.

cheers,
prabhu