[vtkusers] old subject on GUI with VTK

N Smethurst nick.smethurst at free.fr
Tue Jul 1 13:41:38 EDT 2003

Hi there

I have been working for about 7 months on a visualisation system using
KDE/QT/VTK which I hope will get to the stage where it can be used for
both general visualisation (i.e. low level VTK stuff) and also more
standard plotting such as that found in numerical software packages.

I have not yet released any code to the public mainly due to the reason
that the internal design of the software has taken a lot of thinking, and
I wanted to be able to present a complete theoretical design before giving
out source code. Otherwise, I would almost definitely be prone to changing
fundamental aspects of the program structure, and this would not bode well
if others were wishing to use or help develop it.

As it stands, I have about 12000 lines of compact c++ code + api
documentation and am in various stages of implementing the following
features:

* Document-view model interface (semi MDI: multiple windows with a tab
widget in each - like konqueror).

* Multiple render window support for documents.

* XML based document file format.

* XML based internal communication mechanism used for loading/saving files,
connecting and manipulating objects, and passing commands & data from
external applications.

* Socket/DCOP based communication interfaces for driving the visualiser
from external numerical applications.

* Creation & modification of standard VTK objects.

* Creation & modification of higher level plotting objects such as surfaces
& lines (for standard plotting type applications).

* Object browser window with custom mimetype support for drag & drop of
objects. The goal is to be able to connect/disconnect object pipelines
with the use of drag & drop in the browser, and to be able to modify their
properties.

* A small quantity of additional support objects for facilitating the user
experience.

* A set of axes classes (cartesian, spherical, cylindrical) which work
automatically with the higher level and support objects.

* A set of clipping and warping objects that work as helpers to the axes
classes in order to provide clipping support and logarithmic & axes aspect
ratio support.

* Real time interaction including real time panning through datasets.

Things that are planned but are currently in an early or an initial
thinking stage (i.e. no code yet):

* An interface to the Octave package in order to integrate the Octave
engine into a KDE application that drives the visualisation software.

* A standard user plotting language for Octave that can be used by other
visualisation systems that interface with Octave.

* XSL stylesheets that convert the XML files into other formats.

* A callback system for use with external applications.

* Having different processor threads for the user interface and VTK.

The main problem I have at the moment is that I am in the last two months
of doing my DEA stage in (more c++, acoustics, and signal processing) and
so I have not found the time to develop as rapidly as before. I also need
to find a job for when I finish! However, I am still making progress,
allbeit a little more slowly at the moment.

Is your interest as a user or as a developer? I am certainly hoping to
attract other developers to the project, but at the moment I have held
back releasing any code for the reasons mentioned above. However, if there
is anyone that is interested in the project from a development point of
view, I could put something together soonish in order for potentially
interested developers to take a look at.

Regards

Nick