[vtkusers] Self-installed version incompatible with ITK.

Mark Foskey mark_foskey at unc.edu
Fri Jan 31 14:41:10 EST 2003

The precompiled binaries are compiled with VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB set to
OFF, I understand for performance reasons.  This means that anyone
using ITK (http://www.itk.org/) with VTK (which is a sizable fraction
of the ITK user base) must download and compile the VTK source.

It would be nice if there were some location where an ITK-compatible
self-installer for VTK could be downloaded.  I'm not advocating making
the main download ITK compatible, since the VTK user base contains a
lot of non-ITK users.

If there is concern about making the download page too cluttered,
perhaps there should be a separate section headed "Using VTK with Other
Libraries", or some such.

It is possible to spend a number of hours trying to get both systems to
work together.  One mistake that at least one user has made is to
compile VTK, and only then run CMake-Install on ITK and learn that
VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB must be ON (and, still later, that VTK_USE_HYBRID
must also be ON).  Anything that could reduce these frustrations would
be very helpful.

--
Mark Foskey    (919) 843-5436  Computer-Aided Diagnosis and Display Lab
mark_foskey at unc.edu            Department of Radiology, CB 7515, UNC