[vtkusers] Probing a surface

Kevin Wright krw at viz-solutions.com
Wed Jan 29 18:45:00 EST 2003

Hi All,

I have a polydata surface that is an unstructured mesh (mostly triangles,
fairly irregular).  I would like to create a more normalized set of points
by sampling the surface at regular intervals.  I have tried using
vtkProbeFilter, which works sporadically (I assume because of roundoff?),
but not nearly well enough to implement.  So my question, in several parts
is: Am I right that the vtkProbeFilter will not work reliably without 3D
elements?  Is there another way to do this with existing VTK
classes?  Would the best solution be a new filter specifically made to
probe surfaces?

Thanks,
Kevin.